Part-time Lecturer in Scientific Written and Oral Communication for Undergraduate Biology and Biological Engineering Students
The Division of Biology and Biological Engineering at the California Institute of Technology seeks a part-time Lecturer to teach an undergraduate course to biology majors on written and oral communication in the field of biology. This course, taken by most Caltech biology and biological engineering majors, offers instruction and practice in writing and speaking relevant to professional biological scientists and engineers working in research, teaching, medical careers or industry. The course is 6 units (3-0-3) on Caltech’s scale of 1-9 unit courses, requiring 3 instructional hours per week and 3 hours of homework for students. This position entails teaching one section of this course each Fall and Spring term annually, with a reappointment review after the first teaching term.
Dates for the upcoming terms are:
Spring Term 2019 (April 1, 2019 – June 14, 2019)
Fall Term 2019 (October 1, 2019 – December 13, 2019).
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience designing and implementing lessons on scientific written and oral communication in a classroom or lab environment.
- Experience creating and responding to written and oral communication assignments in biology and/or engineering
- Commitment to excellence in teaching.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Advanced degree and/or significant work towards such a degree in Biology or a biology-related field.
- A successful record of publication and conference presentations in biology.
- Familiarity with or training in “writing in the disciplines” pedagogy and theory.
Pay Status: Competitive salary
Required Applicant Documents: CV; a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and relevant experience in working with student writers; writing sample; names and contact information for three references.
Submit Applications to: https://applications.caltech.edu/jobs/bbelect
Position open until filled. Applications received by February 28, 2019, will be assured full consideration.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.